The initial work on this site has depended on the many contributors
to the book, Kurdistan: In the Shadow of History (Random
House, Fall 1997).
I would like to thank the following for their support during
the collection and production process of the book and site:
- Human Rights Watch for supporting the documentation of
mass grave sites exhumed in northern Iraq in December 1991
and June 1992.
- John T. and Catherine D. MacArthur Foundation for their
generous MacArthur Fellowship (1992-1997) which allowed
me to create a team of researchers and to sustain the ever
increasing scope of this project.
- The Polaroid Foundation for their loan of a CP4 reproduction
camera which I used to make copy negatives of images found
during our research.
- The Hasselblad Foundation which provided a travel grant
to return to the Kurdish region with photographs from Western
- The Rockefeller Foundation for the Multi-media Fellowship
which I received in 1995 and provided for my exploration
into the CD-ROM format which led to the creation of this
- The Film Study Center at Harvard University for the insightful
perspectives of their technical team and encouragement early
- Magnum Photos whose offices provided a base for continuous
research and communication throughout the life of this project.
- The Internet Regional Program of the Open Society Institute
of the Tides Foundation for helping finance the launch of
It has been a tremendous pleasure working with Picture Projects. Alison
Cornyn and Sue Johnson have brought great skill and vision
transforming this material to a compelling new medium. Their
work has depended on the extensive labor of the principal
production team of Meryl Levin, Dolly Meieran and Laura Hubber,
who collaborated on the concept and design of the book itself.